Sunday, July 11, 2010

Watermelon, Feta, and Arugula Salad

 
After gorging myself on meat earlier today, all I wanted for dinner was salad.  Lots and lots of salad.  So the first thing that came to mind was this watermelon and arugula salad that I have been meaning to make for weeks.  Watermelon is one of my favorite indulgences during the summer and there are various salads containing watermelon that I love to make/eat.  I can't wait until really nice heirloom tomatoes start overrunning the farmer's markets so I can make tomato-watermelon salad.  Other wonderful addition to watermelon salads are mint and and sweet onions.  I know that the combination of watermelon and onion sounds truly bizarre, but done properly it is delicious.  This watermelon, feta, and arugula salad is one of the simpler watermelon salads that I make, as there are only 5 ingredients - watermelon, feta, arugula, balsamic vinegar, and black pepper.  I know it sounds like a strange set of ingredients, but give it a shot.  I promise you won't be disappointed!
Recipe after the jump!


Watermelon, Feta, and Arugula Salad

INGREDIENTS:
3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
6 oz. baby arugula
8 cups seedless watermelon, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
7 oz. feta cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (crumbled also works)
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Pour balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan or skillet. Boil over medium-high heat until reduced to approximately 3 tablespoons, 6 to 7 minutes.
Meanwhile, separate arugula into individual salad plates. Scatter watermelon, then feta over arugula. Drizzle with balsamic glaze and sprinkle with black pepper.
Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment