Saturday, January 8, 2011

Cincinnati Skyline Chili


Alex has been wanting to make chili in our slow cooker for some time now.  We actually planned on making chili tonight, but we didn't have our act together early enough today to do that, so we decided to make chili on the stove top instead.  And since Alex has family in Cincinnati he wanted to make Cincinnati chili, rather than Texas style chili.  I really wanted to make a chicken chili (I had this recipe flagged), because I have never been a particularly big fan of chili (partially due to the fact that many chili recipes are chock full of beans and I am just not into kidney beans).  Granted, I think I have eaten chili a grand total of 3-4 times in my entire life and it tends to be from random ski lodges so this isn't a particularly well-informed opinion.  But I do like chicken chili.  And for some reason, I like white beans, so that might be a contributing factor in why I like chicken chili, but not beef chili.  

I still don't particularly like beef chili.  This experiment was no exception.  Sorry Alex.  It was an uphill battle from the start.  I don't really like chili, I thought that chili could not possibly be improved by the addition of cinnamon and other exotic spices like cardamom, and I thought that chili served over spaghetti just sounded weird.  Alex told me I was overthinking it.  That I should essentially think of the chili like a meat sauce served over pasta.  So I did.  And it just didn't do it for me.  I believe my response was that I have had better pasta sauces.  Alex on the other hand, did enjoy the chili.  And was more than a little sad that I didn't.  I might try again tomorrow because I have it on good authority that chili is better the second day.  Alex thought that the chili could use a little more cinnamon.  I thought it could use a little more heat.  And a different texture.  It just felt very grainy...  I read somewhere online that you're supposed to serve Cincinnati chili with oyster crackers.  I think I would really have liked that addition.  But I have to admit that nothing would have made me fall head over heels in love with this dish.  I can't help it.  I just don't like chili.  But it did make the apartment smell delicious!

Recipe after the jump!

Cincinnati Skyline Chili

INGREDIENTS:
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped onion, plus 1/4 cup additional chopped onion for garnish
2 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1/4 cup dark chili powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground allspice
6 cloves
1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
pinch ground cardamom
1 bay leaf
1/2 (1 ounce) square unsweetened chocolate
3 cups beef stock
8 oz can tomato sauce
1 cup canned diced tomatoes 
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add 1/2 cup onions and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 5 minutes.  Add beef, and brown, breaking up with a wooden spoon.  Depending on the size of your pot, you might have to do this in batches.  I didn't, but I probably should have.  Add chili powder, cinnamon, cumin, allspice, cloves, cayenne, cardamom, bay leaf, chocolate, stock, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and cider vinegar.  Stir to mix well.  Bring mixture to a boil.  Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Remove the bay leaf and whole cloves.  Serve over hot, drained spaghetti. Top with shredded cheddar cheese and remaining chopped onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment