Monday, January 24, 2011

Indian Spiced Eggplant


For some time I have been trying to find some decent new eggplant recipes.  I really like eggplant, but I very rarely cook it.  And when I do cook eggplant, I almost always cook long, skinny Asian eggplants in various Asian or Asian-inspired recipes.  I find Asian eggplants to be less bitter/sweeter and more tender than the typical Western variety.  But I can't always find Asian eggplants at the local grocery store, so I have recently been experimenting with Holland eggplants and other eggplants.  I can't wait until the summer when I can go to the farmer's market and stock up on fairy eggplants and little green Thai eggplants for more experiments.

My one complaint about this eggplant was that it retained a rather soggy texture from braising it in the first place.  While we cooked off the braising liquid, we were afraid of burning the eggplant (because we have definitely burnt eggplant before), so we didn't char it up nearly enough.  As a warning, the liquid disappears between one second and the next and almost immediately the pan starts to look crusty and black.  So we wimped out.  Even if we had charred up the eggplant a little more, only one side of the eggplant would have had any texture to it.  I think it would have been better if we had charred the eggplant on the bottom and then flipped it over to just crisp the top up a bit.  If we had done those things, I think this dish would have been excellent.  The spice blend was really nice and gave the eggplant a really lovely flavor.  I know that it's not the prettiest looking dish, but it really is nice.  I might try the spice blend and/or braise for other vegetables and dishes - it was that good.  I just have to figure out how best to adapt the recipe...

Recipe after the jump!



Indian Spiced Eggplant
Adapted from Gourmet
December 1997

INGREDIENTS:
1 tsp ground coriander seeds
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
3/4 cup water
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp red-wine vinegar
2 small Holland eggplants
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander

In a small bowl combine spices and in a measuring cup stir together water, sugar, and vinegar. Cut eggplant into 1-inch thick slices.

In a large heavy non-stick skillet heat butter over moderate heat until foam subsides and cook spices, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add eggplant and salt and toss to coat with spice mixture. Stir vinegar mixture and add to eggplant mixture. Simmer mixture, covered, without stirring, 7 minutes, or until eggplant is just tender. Uncover skillet and cook eggplant mixture at a rapid simmer, without stirring, until liquid is almost evaporated and eggplant is slightly charred (but not burned) on bottom, about 10-12 minutes.

Serve eggplant sprinkled with fresh coriander.

No comments:

Post a Comment