Saturday, January 22, 2011

Mediterranan Roast Shrimp and Israeli Couscous with Asparagus and Sugar Snap Peas



Sorry guys!  I know we disappeared for awhile, but it's not my fault!  We were in FL for 5 days for a good friends' wedding and before that my Dad was in town visiting so we were running around like chickens with our heads cut off.  I had this post prepped and almost ready to go, but never had any time to sit down and finish it!  Alex and I went to Costco a few weekends ago and bought the world's largest bag of asparagus and some really nice looking tiger prawns.  So I had to figure out something to do with them for dinner that night.  I found the couscous recipe first and then decided that we would make some sort of simple Mediterranean shrimp to serve alongside the couscous. 

Ever since discovering how easy it is to roast shrimp, it has become one of my favorite methods of preparing shrimp.  I love sauteing and stir-frying shrimp too, but sometimes it's really nice to just throw it in the oven while you get the rest of the meal ready and not have to pay any attention to it.  Here we tossed the shrimp with garlic, evoo, butter, crushed red pepper flakes, lemon zest, and some toasted coriander and fennel seeds.  I got the idea to use the coriander and fennel seeds from Crescent City Cooking by Susan Spicer.  We have made other variations similar to shrimp scampi with just the evoo, garlic, butter and crushed red pepper flakes, but we have never added any other spices before.  Surprisingly enough, both Alex and I really enjoyed the coriander and fennel seeds.  I say surprisingly enough because Alex tends not to like fennel seeds (although he likes them more than caraway seeds, which he absolutely hates).  In the future I would probably crush them a little more finely than I did here because I did have one or two bites where I essentially had a mouthful of fennel seeds.  Which completely blows out your tastebuds.  But the combination of flavors was really interesting and one I would make again.  You could play with all manner of herbs and seasonings with this general recipe.

I thought that the couscous recipe was interesting.  It was a nice way to get some vegetables into your diet.  And since I love asparagus and sugar snap peas, it was great to serve them in the same dish.  I don't really like peas so I left them out entirely.  This recipe vaguely reminds me of the Disappearing Zucchini Orzo that Alex and I make from time to time.  I'm not sure which one I like better, although in some ways I might prefer the orzo to the Trader Joe's Harvest Grains Blend that we used here.  I feel like the orzo absorbs more of the flavor from the veggies than the couscous does.  I also thought that I have had better Israeli couscous recipes, including this recipe for Toasted Israeli Couscous with Pine Nuts and Parsley.  But with all of those things said, I think it is a really nice side and one that I would make again.  I'm curious to see how the leftover couscous will taste cold or at room temperature.  In some ways I think it would make an excellent picnic or potluck dish, rather than a hot side dish.

Recipes after the jump!




Mediterranean Roast Shrimp

INGREDIENTS:
1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tbsp evoo
1 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 tsp fennel seeds, toasted and crushed
1/2 tsp coriander seeds, toasted and crushed
healthy pinch crushed red pepper flakes
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp lemon zest
1 dried bay leaf
s&p
 1 tbsp flat leaf parsley, finely chopped

Rinse shrimp and pat dry.  Combine shrimp, evoo, melted butter, spices, garlic, lemon zest, bay leaf and s&p in large bowl  Toss to coat shrimp thoroughly.  Cover bowl with saran wrap and allow shrimp to marinate for 30 minutes in bowl at room temperature. 

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Add shrimp to a large rimmed baking sheet.  Don't overcrowd the baking sheet.  Roast shrimp until just cooked, about 8-10 minutes (depending on the size of the shrimp).  The shrimp should be opaque and firm to the touch.  Be careful not to overcook the shrimp because you don't want them to turn rubbery.

Remove shrimp from the baking sheet.  Discard bay leaf.  Pour the baking juices down over the shrimp.  Toss with parsley and serve.


Israeli Couscous with Asparagus and Sugar Snap Peas
Adapted from Bon Appetit
June 2010

INGREDIENTS:
4 tbsp evoo, divided
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 large garlic cloves, minced, divided
1/2 tsp lemon peel, finely grated
1 1/3 cups Trader Joe's Harvest Grains blend (or Israeli couscous)
1 3/4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 lb slender asparagus spears, trimmed, cut diagonally into 3/4-inch pieces
8 oz sugar snap peas, trimmed, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch pieces
1/3 cup chopped fresh chives
1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

Whisk 2 tablespoons evoo, lemon juice, 1 garlic clove, and lemon peel in small bowl. Set aside. Heat 1 tablespoon evoo in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add couscous, sprinkle with salt, and sauté until couscous begins to turn golden brown and starts to smell nice and toasted, about 5 minutes. Add 1 3/4 cups broth, increase heat, and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until liquid is absorbed and couscous is tender, about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large nonstick skillet over moderate heat. Add remaining garlic, asparagus and sugar snap peas. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer vegetables to large bowl.

Add cooked couscous to bowl with vegetables. Drizzle dressing over. Add chives and cheese. Toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment