Sunday, January 23, 2011

My new favorite brunch on the UWS


Alex and I were wandering around near our apartment this morning trying to figure out where to eat brunch.  Good Enough to Eat was swamped (as always), Recipe had a wait, and there were a bunch of other places we had already tried and didn't feel like going back to.  We were on our way down to Nice Matin, which I have eaten brunch at, but Alex has not, when we realized that Tangled Vine had a nice looking brunch menu and was nearly empty.  Since we like Tangled Vine a lot, we decided to give their brunch a try.  Omg.  So good!  And I know that I have posted about Tangled Vine before on the blog (see here), but I just couldn't resist posting about it again because it was so freaking good.  I'm sorry that these pictures suck, but I didn't have my camera with me so I made Alex take the pictures with his cell phone and email them to me. 

More after the jump!




We tried the baked eggs with spinach, smoked bacon and roasted rosemary potatoes, the tortilla espanol, and the pastrami montaditos.  We were originally going to order just the eggs and tortilla, but when the waiter arrived to take our order I couldn't restrain myself.  I really like the pork belly montaditos, and was curious about a version made with house-cured beef brisket, coleslaw and grainy mustard.  And it's a good thing that I made that last minute addition because the pastrami montaditos were our favorite.  They had unbelievable flavor.  I'm not usually a lover of pastrami (or brisket), but it was fabulous.  And I thought that the grainy mustard was the perfect accompaniment because it cut through the richness of the meat with just the right amount of acidity.  And I can't forget about the fries, which were really phenomenal - handfuls of crispy, salty deliciousness.  Neither Alex nor I could restrain ourselves from eating the entire plate of fries.  Yum.  I would say that my second favorite dish was the baked eggs.  They were rich, creamy, and delicious.  I might go so far as to say they were the perfect brunch dish.  Alex thought that the roasted potatoes served alongside the eggs were really tasty, but I'm not a huge fan of potatoes (unless they are fried).  I will agree with him that they had nice rosemary flavor.  The tortilla espagnol (which is essentially a Spanish omelet/frittata with egg and potatoes and chorizo) was also really nice.  It had a nice smokey flavor from the pimenton (smoked paprika) and the garlic aioli was a nice accompaniment.  I really liked the salad that they served with the tortilla, which had arugula, frisee and a variety of other bitter greens in a tangy mustard-based vinaigrette.  We will definitely be back for brunch.  I can't wait to try out the other dishes on the menu!


No comments:

Post a Comment