Saturday, April 9, 2011

Asian Winter Slaw

Our Japanese-Style Hamburgers demanded a vegetable side, with some crispy/crunchy texture to contrast with the tenderness of the hamburgers.  I have been considering making this recipe for Asian Winter Slaw ever since I happened across a bag of broccoli slaw at Trader Joe's.  Have I mentioned recently how much I love that place?  Anyway, the slaw seemed like the perfect accompaniment to the burgers so we went ahead and threw it together today.  It's light and crunchy, and the flavor of the white miso in the dressing is really nice.  It has never occurred to me to make an Asian-inspired slaw using miso paste, nor did it ever cross my mind that you could make a broccoli slaw.  That is partially due to the fact that I don't typically like coleslaw all that much, although I do make an exception for good Asian versions of coleslaw.  I thought that the very crunchy texture of the broccoli slaw was perfect with the burgers.  A more traditional cabbage slaw just wouldn't have provided enough textural contrast.

Recipe after the jump!
Asian Winter Slaw
February 2011
INGREDIENTS:
3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
2 tablespoons white miso
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 16-ounce bag broccoli slaw (Trader Joe's sells 12 oz. bags in their produce section)
3 large green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Whisk vinegar, miso, ginger, and oil in small bowl. Combine slaw, green onions, and cilantro in large bowl. Toss with dressing.


No comments:

Post a Comment