Thursday, April 21, 2011

Matzo Toffee with Almonds



Living in NYC I find myself surrounded by matzo during certain times of the year.  After years of seeing matzo, I picked up my very first package of whole wheat matzo after seeing this recipe on Serious Eats a few days ago.  As one of my coworkers told me when I brought these into work this morning, "chocolate covered matzo is so dangerous!!!!!!"  Seeing as I ate 2 of these bad boys this morning for breakfast and another few last night, I can only agree with her.  These things are deadly.  They are also totally delicious.  I love the combination of toffee and chocolate.  It reminds me of being a kid and scarfing down Skor bars at summer camp.  But the addition of the sea salt and the toasted almonds make the matzo taste totally grown up.  I really love chocolate with sea salt - that sweet and salty kick does it for me everytime.    Also these chocolate and toffee covered matzo are super easy to make (and aside from the matzo the ingredients are all ones that we have in the kitchen at all times), so anytime I need a salty sweet pick me up in the future I can go ahead and whip up a batch!

Recipe after the jump!

Matzo Toffee with Almonds
Available on Serious Eats

5 sheets whole wheat matzo (broken into large and small pieces to fit the pan)
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1 (12-ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips (2 cups)
1/3 cup toasted, slivered almonds
1 teaspoon flaky sea salt


Preheat oven to 275°F.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place matzos in an even layer on a 13 x17-inch jelly roll pan. You may need to break some matzos to fit the pan, and you should have extra matzo left over.


Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add brown sugar and immediately reduce the temperature to low. Cook, stirring, until sugar has completely dissolved and beings to bubble. Drizzle toffee over matzo and spread evenly to cover using a spatula.


Transfer toffee-covered matzo to oven and bake until the toffee gets shiny for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Let stand for 5 minutes, and spread melted chocolate over matzo to cover. Sprinkle with the toasted almonds and sea salt.


Transfer matzo to the refrigerator and chill for at least 2 hours.


Break chilled matzo toffee into pieces. Matzo toffee will keep in an airtight container for up to 4 days at room temperature, but it tastes much better, and keep longer (though it’s not likely to last long) in the refrigerator.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, crunchy sweet and chocolaty. This looks like something I'd nibble on all day long. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your toffee up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/04/sweets-for-saturday-14_22.html

    ReplyDelete