Sunday, April 3, 2011

Roasted Asparagus with Capers and Eggs


For some reason I was at the gym at a spinning class today and it occurred to me that I should make this recipe.  I knew that in at least one of my many cookbooks there was a recipe for roast asparagus with capers and finely chopped hard boiled eggs.  There is also a recipe in my Momofuku cookbook for Pan-Roasted Asparagus with Poached Egg and Miso Butter, but somehow the miso butter just didn't sound appetizing tonight.  Since we were building our dinner around the cornbread I wanted to make the miso butter really didn't fit in with the flavor profile I was going for.  But I think I will definitely serve that as my next asparagus and egg experiment.  I liked this asparagus a lot.  Then again, I always like asparagus.  Roasting the asparagus made it nice and nutty.  I liked the red wine vinegar flavor of the vinaigrette, balanced out by the richness of the chopped egg whites and yolks and the brine of the capers.  It's not the most amazing asparagus ever, but I think that it was nice and fresh.  And is a welcome addition to my asparagus repertoire now that asparagus season is about to hit.

Recipe after the jump!


Roasted Asparagus with Capers and Eggs
Molto Italiano
By Mario Batali

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 lbs asparagus
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp evoo
1 tbsp coarse sea salt
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp tiniest capers
1 hard cooked egg, white and yolk separated and chopped separately
1 scallion, thinly sliced
s&p

Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.

Snap off the fibrous bottom part of the asparagus. Place asparagus in a large bowl.  Drizzle with evoo, sprinkle with sea salt and toss to coat.

Spread on a baking sheet or arrange on the grill rack and cook, turning occasionally, until tender and golden brown in some spots, about 8 minutes in the oven or 6-7 minutes on the grill.  Transfer to a platter.

In a small bowl, stir together the vinegar, capers, chopped egg white, scallion, and the remaining 6 tbsp evoo.  Season with s&p.  Pour the sauce over the asparagus, sprinkle with chopped egg yolk, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment