Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Country French Omelet


What do you do when you have a dozen incredibly fresh extra large eggs from Knoll Crest Farms and D'Artagnan Uncured Applewood Smoked Bacon?  I was originally planning on making plain old bacon and eggs, or a homemade bacon, egg and cheese biscuit, but when I saw this recipe for a Country French Omelet in my Barefoot Contessa cookbook I decided to make that instead.  Making homemade biscuits the night after making homemade flatbread just seemed overly ambitious.  I also had some really nice spring greens from the farmer's market, so I figured an omelet and a salad would be a great weeknight meal.  Alex was shocked when I said that the potatoes in the omelet were perfectly cooked and kind of yummy.  I think that might have been the first time I have ever complimented a potato.  But they were nice and tender without being mushy or mealy.  They also gave the omelet some heft and substance without making the dish feel super heavy.  Cooking the potatoes in the bacon fat gave them an extra layer of flavor that I appreciated.  This is one of the more labor intensive omelets that I have ever made, but I think it was worth it.  And I really appreciated it that I didn't have to attempt to flip the omelet (because I tear my omelets 50% of the time) and could just throw it in the oven like a frittata and let it rip.  I might actually adopt this method for all future omelets because it really is that much easier.

Recipe after the jump!

Country French Omelet
Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics
By Ina Garten

INGREDIENTS:
1 tbsp good olive oil
3 slices thick cut bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup (1-inch diced) unpeeled Yukon GOld potatoes
kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
5 extra large eggs
3 tbsp milk
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tbsp fresh chopped chives

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. 

Heat the olive oil in a 10-inch ovenproof omelet pan over medium heat.  Add the bacon and cook for 3-5 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is browned but not crisp.  Take the bacon out of the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside on a plate.

Place the potatoes in the pan and sprinkle with s&p.  Continue to cook over medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes, until very tender and browned, tossing occasionally to ensure even browning.  Remove potatoes with a slotted spoon to the same plate with the bacon.  Set aside.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat the eggs, milk, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper together with a fork.  Pour the fat out of the pan and discard.  Add butter, lower heat to low, and pour the eggs into the hot pan.  Sprinkle the bacon, potatoes, and chives evenly over the top and place in the oven for about 8 minutes, just until the eggs are set.  Slide onto a plate, divide in half, and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment